Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Greatest in the Kingdom

Matthew 18:1-10

1 About that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?”

2 Jesus called a little child to him and put the child among them. 3 Then he said, “I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven. 4 So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.

5 “And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me. 6 But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea.

7 “What sorrow awaits the world, because it tempts people to sin. Temptations are inevitable, but what sorrow awaits the person who does the tempting. 8 So if your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It’s better to enter eternal life with only one hand or one foot than to be thrown into eternal fire with both of your hands and feet. 9 And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It’s better to enter eternal life with only one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.

10 “Beware that you don’t look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father.

These verses are very eye opening to me. When I look at my children and see their complete trust of their teachers and what their teachers are telling them I can see what the Word is talking about. I am also thankful that my kids go to a school where the Word is taught in every subject so they are incorporating a biblical world view at an early age. I also think about the teachers themselves. They have a lot of influence on the development of the children in their care each day and the Word here is pretty harsh on what would happen if they cause any of them to sin.

When you think about why Jesus uses a child as an example of who is the greatest in the Kingdom it doesn't take long to figure out why He chose them as His example. When kids are in their pre-school years they are very dependent on their parents for almost everything. This dependance is how we are to be with Jesus. We are to be dependent upon Him for everything. We are to trust everything He tells us to do and do be obedient to do it when He tells us to do it. Just like my kids did when they were younger. I can't count how many times a day they would ask for help or guidance or have a question about what they wanted to learn. They obeyed more quickly than they do now, but I attribute that to their independence growing. Whe we are dependent upon someone we are more obedient to their request for us to do something.

WOW! Thank You Jesus for bringing that revelation to me this morning! How awesome You are to reach out to me and show me this from Your Word. My dependence on You leads to greater obedience on my part, which leads to greater measure of Your blessing upon me. Lord, renew within me the desire to follow You more closely than I did yesterday and the day before. Stir up my spirit to be in tune with the Holy Spirit so I can be in Your will for my life more and more each second. Lord, use my tongue to bring Your life into the lives of others around me today and may I reap the bountiful goodness You have for those Who follow You and Your plan for their life. I thank You that You cared enough for me to leave heaven, come to earth, reveal the Father to us, take my sins upon Yourself on the cross, die for me, defeat death, hell and the grave by coming to life on the third day, ascending to heaven and being my Advocate with the Father. I thank You that You did this not just for me, but for everyone. I thank You that You sent the Holy Spirit to be with me until You come again and that the Holy Spirit will reveal to me the plans You have for me. May I be obedient to You leading and obey quickly and quietly when instructed to do so. May all the praise, honor and glory go to You this day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment