Saturday, December 27, 2008

Stewardship Basics

Proverbs 27:23-27

23 Know the state of your flocks,
and put your heart into caring for your herds,
24 for riches don’t last forever,
and the crown might not be passed to the next generation.
25 After the hay is harvested and the new crop appears
and the mountain grasses are gathered in,
26 your sheep will provide wool for clothing,
and your goats will provide the price of a field.
27 And you will have enough goats’ milk for yourself,
your family, and your servant girls.

These verses speak volumes on how our stewardship of what God has given to us should go. We are to be wise with what we have and not be wasteful and irresponsible.

Verse 23 is one that is a little harder for most to grasp since they would say they are not into agriculture and don't have flocks and herds of any animals. What the Lord is saying here is that we should know the state of our assets. What I get from this would be like this, I should know, if someone would ask, how much I owe on any loans I have, what the interest rate is, what the principle balance is and how long it will take to pay it off on the current schedule. I should also know what I have in any retirement account, what the rate of return is on the investment and where it is headed. I should know what condition my house is in, my car, my furniture, my appliances, my yard, my tools, etc. I should know what is going on with my relationships, family, friends, work, etc. As I know the state of my flocks I then put my heart into caring for all of that "stuff" so that I can be aware of what God may need me to use for His plan and purpose for my life and that if He asks me to give my car to someone I know any issues there may be with it and inform that person.

Verse 24 is one that should be more realistic to a lot of people in this day. Riches don't last forever so stop acting like they do. Riches in this world are available for rust, destruction, loss, theft and swindle. This is why Jesus instructs us in Matthew:

Matthew 6:19-21
19 “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. 21 Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be."

If we persist in our thinking that we need to accumulate for ourselves the stuff of this world then we will not be storing up for ourselves in heaven where we will have true riches. This doesn't say that we are not to be rich here on earth. As with all things with God it is our heart condition that He is most concerned with. If God knows that He can entrust me with $1,000,000.00 because He knows that most of that will be used for increasing His Kingdom then when I earn that much I will know what to use it for. If He knows that I will be wasteful and irresponsible with it then He will not bring it into my hands. The devil does this with people all the time. Most people who win money in lotteries or through inheritance don't use the money for what it should be. Winning a lot of money doesn't change a person's attitude towards money, it just magnifies their thoughts about money and the problems they have with it.

A study was done on the first 20 winners of the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes and only one of the 20 still had their winnings and the rest were in worst conditions than before they won the money. Here are some more insights from the Word:

Proverbs 10:16
16 The earnings of the godly enhance their lives, but evil people squander their money on sin.

Proverbs 11:4, 18, 24-26, 28
4 Riches won’t help on the day of judgment, but right living can save you from death.

18 Evil people get rich for the moment, but the reward of the godly will last.

24 Give freely and become more wealthy; be stingy and lose everything.
25 The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.
26 People curse those who hoard their grain, but they bless the one who sells in time of need.

28 Trust in your money and down you go! But the godly flourish like leaves in spring.

Proverbs 12:10-12, 27
10 The godly care for their animals, but the wicked are always cruel.
11 A hard worker has plenty of food, but a person who chases fantasies has no sense. 12 Thieves are jealous of each other’s loot, but the godly are well rooted and bear their own fruit.

27 Lazy people don’t even cook the game they catch, but the diligent make use of everything they find.

Proverbs 13:4, 13
4 Lazy people want much but get little, but those who work hard will prosper.

11 Wealth from get-rich-quick schemes quickly disappears; wealth from hard work grows over time.

These are just a few but the last one emphases what I was saying before. The supposed wealth one gets from get-rich-quick schemes (lotteries, insurance frauds, etc.) doesn't change the heart of the person about what money they have or how to handle it, it only magnifies any issues they have with it.

Verses 25-27 are the ones that really excite me. I know that by working hard and having the right heart attitude towards what God entrusts me with that I will have clothing, I will own land and I will have enough food for not only my family, but for my servants as well. Did you see that? I have servants!

This can be looked at in a way that I think I know I hadn't thought of until the Lord just showed it to me. The word "servant" in verse 27 doesn't necessarily mean what I would envision it to mean. A servant is defined as a person in the service of another. Would someone who handles my investment portfolio be considered as a person in the service of another? Would an employee who works for me be considered a person in the service of another? Would a person who picks up and delivers my mail be considered a person in the service of another? Would the pastors at my church be considered a person in the service of another? I would answer all those questions with a yes.

This means that because of the hard work and heart condition of the flocks, herds, crops, goats, sheep, etc., that the Lord entrusts to me that those who work in the service of another will also prosper. Because I am paying my bills on time, my taxes that are required, my tithes and offerings or my employees proper wages they will also be able to prosper, if they too are learning from the Word how to be good stewards.

Heavenly Father I thank you today for what You have entrusted to me. Continue to reveal to me any areas that I need to improve in when it comes to the "stuff" You have given to me. All that I have is available to You to use for Your purposes here on earth so that more can be added to Your Kingdom. Reveal to me anything I have that You need and how You want me to use it for You. I praise You for Your Word and for the Holy Spirit revealing to me and drawing me to Your love for me and for those I come into contact with each day. Let me be a blessing to them and may You get all the glory, honor and praise for what You accomplish. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment