Monday, December 29, 2008

What’s Your Reputation Like?

1 Samuel 29:1-11

1 The entire Philistine army now mobilized at Aphek, and the Israelites camped at the spring in Jezreel. 2 As the Philistine rulers were leading out their troops in groups of hundreds and thousands, David and his men marched at the rear with King Achish. 3 But the Philistine commanders demanded, “What are these Hebrews doing here?” And Achish told them, “This is David, the servant of King Saul of Israel. He’s been with me for years, and I’ve never found a single fault in him from the day he arrived until today.”

4 But the Philistine commanders were angry. “Send him back to the town you’ve given him!” they demanded. “He can’t go into the battle with us. What if he turns against us in battle and becomes our adversary? Is there any better way for him to reconcile himself with his master than by handing our heads over to him? 5 Isn’t this the same David about whom the women of Israel sing in their dances,

‘Saul has killed his thousands,
and David his ten thousands’?”

6 So Achish finally summoned David and said to him, “I swear by the Lord that you have been a trustworthy ally. I think you should go with me into battle, for I’ve never found a single flaw in you from the day you arrived until today. But the other Philistine rulers won’t hear of it. 7 Please don’t upset them, but go back quietly.”

8 “What have I done to deserve this treatment?” David demanded. “What have you ever found in your servant, that I can’t go and fight the enemies of my lord the king?”

9 But Achish insisted, “As far as I’m concerned, you’re as perfect as an angel of God. But the Philistine commanders are afraid to have you with them in the battle. 10 Now get up early in the morning, and leave with your men as soon as it gets light.”

11 So David and his men headed back into the land of the Philistines, while the Philistine army went on to Jezreel.

David had fled from Israel and the pursuit of King Saul, who was trying to kill him, and had settled in the land of the Philistines. This was the same people to whom Goliath was a warrior. David lived among them for over one year and the King never had an issue with David or his men with him. As far as King Achish was concerned David would live in his country forever. King Achish either did not know about David being anointed as king over Israel or he thought that it wasn't going to happen.

I can see why the commanders of the Philistine army would not want David to join them, even though he had not attacked them or their army since he lived amongst them. They were right in their thinking that David could turn against them at any time.

What I saw in this story that standed out were the statements made by the commanders and by King Achish himself about David. The commanders cited a song that is sung by the women of Israel while the dance, "Saul has killed his thousands, and David his ten thousands." King Achish said, "As far as I'm concerned, you're as perfect as an angel of God." How many of us could have a group of people say this about us? This was coming from people whom David was very familiar with, especially after having killed their greatest warrior when he was a boy. That's a great reputation. It's no wonder why he had that reputation though. He was following the Lord and seeking Him in what he was doing. This is the same type of reputation we should have with our adversaries and colleagues alike.

Heavenly Father I thank You that You were able to use a vessel like David to show me an example of the type of reputation that I can strive to have with my adversaries. May my conduct be a good reflection of You in everything I do. I pray that Your love flow through me to those I come into contact with each day and may their interaction with me lead them to get to know You in a more personal way. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment